Keep Calm & Carry OnLinkedinShort Resume | Long Resume

People often don’t ask for help until it’s too late. I think in particular men have a hard time doing this, as we’re often told that it’s a sign of weakness. (i.e. We’re about as likely to ask for help, as we are to ask for directions. lol)

Over the last 17 years I’ve gone through a lot, more than some people, less than others. Through it all I’ve just kept swimming. I’ve always believed that if I worked hard enough I could fix anything.

It was that belief that got me through my daughter Alex’s 5+ year battle against Leukemia starting in 1998, and my son Nick’s 14 week premature birth in 2002. During those rough years I started a successful company (Alex’s Coupons) that not only helped pay for Alex’s treatment, but also generated enough income for my family to live on. By 2005 it was doing so well that I was able to donate over $20,000 to the charities (Starlight Children’s Foundation, LLS, & others) who were there for my family when we needed them.

Since Alex’s Leukemia treatment ended in 2003, we’ve continued to face a lot of challenges:

• The after effects of Alex’s Leukemia treatment and two cord blood transplants, which have included brain damage, grand mal seizures, bone tumor, cataracts, and pituitary system failures.
  • The failure of Alex’s Coupons, bankruptcy, foreclosure and other financial problems.
  • Divorce.
  • The death of my Father.

Through it all I’ve always found a way to keep going, but I’ve reached a point in my life where I can’t do it on my own anymore. This time is different. I need help.

Last October I made a decision to leave my comfortable job at HasOffers for a job at another local startup. The position seemed like a great fit for me. Director of Marketing for a startup in a field that I find interesting. A better salary, equity in the company and a chance to build a marketing department from the ground up. I believed it was a stable company that would allow me to provide a more stable life for my kids.

Last week after only three months, the CEO of the startup I was working for announced that he had a new vision for the company. The next day he called me into the conference room and told me that I didn’t share his vision. Without any prior warning he terminated me on the spot.

If I was in a more stable place financially I would be able to weather this latest storm, but like a lot of people these days I live paycheck to paycheck. I have no savings, no assets (aside from an 11 year old car) and lots of financial responsibilities including a $2500/month child support payment, COBRA health insurance, rent and other bills that need to be paid. I come from a small working class family who have helped me as much as they can in the past, but their financial situation is no better than mine and they all live on the east coast.

I’m now left with the daunting task of replacing the nearly $6000 in monthly net income that I’ve lost in the next 5-6 weeks. If I can’t I will have to break the lease on my apartment, put all my things in storage, move for the 7th time in 7 years (to where I don’t know), and once again uproot my kids. Everything I’ve done over the last few years has been to establish a more stable life for me and my kids. I can’t bear the thought of putting my kids through another move only a few months after our last one, and with the added uncertainty of whether they will be able to live with me or if I’ll even be able to remain in the Seattle area.

I know this time that I can’t fix everything on my own. I’ve already reached out to several of my friends and acquaintances and I know they are keeping an eye out for me, but I need this to go beyond my usual network. I need help finding:

• Contracting work that will allow me to pay the bills for the next 3-6 months while I search for a new full time position. (It’s almost always taken that long for me to find a new job.)
  • A senior level marketing position with a stable company, preferably in the Seattle area.

I would really appreciate it if all of you would share this post with your friends, family and business network. If you want to learn more about my work experience you can view my Linkedin profile, download a copy of my resume (short version | long version), or email me at fxmartini at gmail dot com. I’ve also written a short bio of myself:

Todd Martini is a Digital Marketer with over 16 years of experience working for both startups and established companies. He has a strong background in Digital Strategy, PPC & Retargeting, SEO, Social Media, Content Marketing, and Email Marketing. He has a strong entrepreneurial background, as evidenced by his founding of two digital startups. The first was a Web Development agency in 1995 and the second, one of the first Internet couponing sites in 2001. He is also a dedicated father of a childhood leukemia survivor, and has devoted a great deal of time and resources to supporting Childhood Cancer charities and increasing awareness for patients and their families.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If you want to learn more about my family’s personal story you can read about it at Alex’s Place.

Have a great day!

— Todd

Share →

16 Responses to Keeping Calm, Carrying On & Asking for Help

1. Sarah Bundy says:

Hang in there Todd, we’re on the look out and any company would be lucky to have you. Head up. Things will turn around soon. thanks for sharing this so we can get you a placement that will make this post worth while soon.

Sarah

2. Annie says:

EveryMove is looking for a MarCom Director: https://everymove.org/about/jobs

3. Todd Martini says:

Thanks Sarah and Annie!

4. Liz Armbruester says:

Todd- I work for Avalara, a SaaS sales tax company based in Seattle. We have at least 2 openings in marketing. Avalara is fantastic company. Contact me if interested.

5. Todd… The Seattle Tech Startup’s list is a great resource. I’m happy to post your resume there, and also I have a couple of great recruiter friends.

Ping me and I will make an intro.

Buzz

6. Todd, Hang in there man. I see a lot of job openings out there. It sucks to get put into the corner where you are looking for work to pay the bills not not just advance your career. I will share your resume with a few people. If I had any openings myself I would love to have someone with you background on board so I am sure you won’t have to wait long. Here is one that came across my desk you may fit with:

Best of luck!

7. Darcie Callahan says:

Hi, Todd, I’m unemployed myself. Look into getting your health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, it should be much, much less expensive than COBRA. At least, that was the case for me.

• Todd Martini says:

Thanks Darcie! I’m researching possible health insurance plans on the WA state healthcare site right now. I’m hopeful I’ll find something that can cover me and the kids. Good luck with your job search! – Todd

8. Dinahsaur says:

It isn’t in the Seattle area, but my former employer is still hunting for a new CMO. It’s in Chico, CA, a beautiful small city in Northern California and a wonderful place for kids.

Check it out if you’re interested (scroll down for the link to the listing): http://www.build.com/careers

• Todd Martini says:

Thanks Dinah! I only have shared custody of my kids, so I’m not able to relocate with them, but I really appreciate your help. I lived in Northern California for 7 years back in the 90’s so I know the area well. It would be great to get back there someday. :-) – Todd

9. Jessica says:

Too many times I’ve screwed my life up by NOT asking for help. I wish I could do something to help you, but please know at a really weird, scary time in my life you’ve helped ME by reminding me to ask for help. You’ve got good karma coming your way! Also, I rarely take my own advice on this, but remember to find the fun/silly things in life; things tend to not seem so bleak. Good luck to you.

• Todd Martini says:

Thanks Jessica, appreciate the support! I’m trying to stay cautiously optimistic. That’s been my mantra since Alex was diagnosed with Leukemia. Well that and “Just Keep Swimming”! I hope good karma comes to both of us soon. :-) Have a great day! – Todd

10. GurlNxtDoor says:

Hi, Todd.
    Unfortunately, I’m not in a position to help with your job search, but I just wanted to tell you that your attitude is very inspiring and it looks like you’ve helped more people than you probably even realize. I’m sending happy thoughts your way and wishing you and your family the very best for your future.

11. Nathan says:

I can help you find some health insurance in Washington.

• Todd Martini says:

Thanks Nathan, I have Aetna health insurance right now through Cobra, but I’m going to be looking at the WA State Healthcare site to see if I can find something cheaper than the $750/month I’m paying right now. If you have any tips, please email me at fxmartini at gmail dot com. Thanks again!